As its English translation University of Applied Sciences and Arts suggests, a "Hochschule" is characterised by practice-related teaching and research as well as a strong practical bias. Its educational philosophy is designed to enable its students to apply their theoretical knowledge and methodological know-how to solving concrete problems in their professional careers. During their studies the students at Coburg university are systematically trained to develop those skills. To make sure that the practical relevance is never lost sight of, both full-time faculty and part-time staff are required to have gained ample experience in leading positions of business and administration.
With the exception of art-related programmes, the standard length of any degree course is eight semesters, two of which are, as a rule, spent as interns in work placements.
The practice-oriented approach to teaching is demonstrated by
Hochschule Coburg has its roots in the Craftsmen’s School founded in Coburg in 1812 by Friedrich Streib, the architect of none other than the then Duke of Saxony. That school was designed to prepare craftsmen working in the construction business to become masters of their trade entitling them to train apprentices. Following the death of its founder, the school was re-established as the Duke’s School for the Building Trade. Upon Coburg’s incorporation into Bavaria shortly after World War I, the name changed again - this time to State Building School. From 1933 to 1939 the school was called State Higher Technical Institute of Structural and Civil Engineering; after 1940 it reverted to State Building School.
After World War II it was the first State Building School in Bavaria to be up and running again - with 193 students. From 1951 it was known as a School of Structural and Civil Engineering.
At the end of the fifties it was decided to add the two new departments of mechanical and electrical engineering to upgrade the school to a Polytechnic. In 1960 the new buildings at Friedrich-Streib-Strasse were completed for the Polytechnic to move into; at the same time the Polytechnic was assigned the task of providing the facilities for offering a German-language bridging course for students from abroad.
When the Fachhochschulen were established in 1971 a brand-new type of university was created, which - in accordance with the Bavarian Higher Education Act - is entitled to provide higher education alongside the traditional universities, colleges of fine arts and other institutions of higher education.
The new university emerged from an amalgamation of Coburg Polytechnic and the School of Engineering and Textile Design located in nearby Münchberg. Currently there are approx. 4200 students enrolled at the Coburg university.
The universiy’s educational philosophy is to offer a practice-related education which enables its graduates to independently use scientific methods and engage in artistic activities during their professional careers. The mission of universites of applied scioences is to provide academically-based and practice-orientated training, which from the very beginning is closely related to the demands of the students’ future professional practice. Coburg University of Applied Sciences and Arts meets this educational commitment in all its four schools of engineering, business, social science, and design.
Take a look at the examinations regulations.
The language center offers all students the possibility to learn German, English, French, Spanish, Italian and other languages. Modern learning software and state-of-the art facilities are available in the Language Center, Building 2, next to the International Office. Interested students can enrol into the courses of mentioned languages, offered in different levels of complexity.