Frequently Asked Questions
- "Hochschule" what's that?
The German Hochschule - University of Applied Sciences - is a type of academic institution, which differs from a traditional university mainly in its practical orientation. Its goal is to convey scientific knowledge with specific emphasis on practical applications. Subjects taught include engineering, computer science, business & management, art & design, communication studies, social service, and other application-oriented fields.
- Can I come and visit the campus at any time?
Yes, we very much encourage students to visit our campus if this is possible. Please let us know in advance when you are planning to come, so we have time to show you around and answer your questions.
- How long is the MBA program?
The regular length of study in this course of studies is four terms including one external practical term (internship).
- When is the start of the program?
We have only one entry each year starting in the winter term by October 1st. Starting in summer term is not possible.
- Do you have a part time MBA program?
No, there is currently no part-time format available.
- What is the language of lecture?
All modules are taught in English.
- Will I be tested on another language?
In order to exploit the most attractive opportunities for your internship, we strongly encourage you to sit the Goethe-Certificate A2 exam of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
- Does the university offer German language courses?
Yes, German language classes are offered at various levels of proficiency. Our introductory courses do not require any previous German language skills.
- What are the fees for the German language courses?
The German language classes are free of charge to enrolled students of the MBA Financial Management program.
- How does the admissions committee assess candidates?
We assess Financial Management applications on 3 levels:
- Academic background - The committee values competitive academic performance and seeks graduates who demonstrate superior ability.
- Professional experience - Close attention is paid to the applicant’s previous work experience as well as future professional ambitions.
- Personal characteristics - The committee seeks highly motivated candidates who have already proven themselves as team players and potential leaders.
The selection interview typically entails 10-15 minutes and is designed to assess the qualification, suitability and motivation of the applicant. The interview may include a 1-minute Application Video and/or be conducted by either telephone or adobe connect.
- Do you accept application documents in hard copy form?
Afraid not, as from January 2018 we only accept applications in electronic form. In order to complete the online application, you will need to upload a scanned copy of all relevant application documents. Please note that we require you to present your complete and original documentation (no photocopies or certified copies) to the University Student Office in order to confirm enrolment upon arrival in Coburg.
- What is the application process and deadline?
Your online application should reach us before 15th August (for EU applicants) or 15th July (for non-EU applicants). If you require a visa to study in Germany, please be aware that the visa process can take up to 8 weeks. You should therefore initiate the visa application as soon as you have been admitted to the program.
- Will I receive confirmation of my application?
Yes, we acknowledge receipt of the application but it is our policy not to give further notification on the status of the application. We contact applicants as soon as the admission decision has been taken.
- Can I defer admission?
Yes, in exceptional cases and upon written application. We do not encourage deferral, and requests are examined on an individual basis by the Admissions Committee.
- Is GMAT compulsory?
Depending on your academic and professional background, GMAT may be recommended to support your application; it is however not compulsory.
- Can I take GRE instead of GMAT?
- My mother tongue is English. Do I need to provide a proof of English proficiency?
No, on written application, a waiver to take an English language test will generally be granted to applicants from English-speaking countries.
- Do you accept certificates/degrees written in languages other than English or German?
No, the university does not accept certificates/degrees written in languages other than English or German. To obtain an officially certified translation, we recommend applicants to contact the local German consulate.
- What is the Institution code of the University for sending the TOEFL/GMAT official score?
Our institution code number for GMAT and TOEFL is 7450.
About: Campus life
- What about my accommodation?
The international office supports students who are looking for accommodation. Most students are offered a flat in our student residences with 500 modern single apartments with kitchen, bathroom/WC, modern facilities. The apartments are at least to be rented for half a year (September-February and March-August). You can find more information about the student residences in Coburg on the website of "Studentenwerk Oberfranken".
- Is there any on arrival support?
Yes, we provide arrival support services within the city of Coburg (help with luggage transport, etc.). Students should inform us in time if they wish to use this service. We also offer an orientation week to the new students at the end of September. Therefore, we strongly recommended that students arrive in Coburg during the first half of September. Activities during the orientation week include a welcome breakfast, "survival training" for international students, technical support, personal assistance with how to complete forms, introduction to ODI Computer Services, health insurance application, introduction to the university library, visiting the local government office for residents, how to open a bank account as a foreign national, etc.
About: Financial information
- What are the fees of the MBA Program?
Tuition fees for the 4-Term program comprise 9,400 € in total (2,350 € per Term) from October 1, 2018. In addition, students are required to pay an enrollment fee of around 95 € every Term.
- Can I pay the tuition fees in cash upon arrival?
No. Due to internal regulations cash payments are not possible. All fees have to be settled via bank transfer.
- What budget should I set aside for the cost of living?
We recommend budgeting at least 700 € per month for general living expenses. This includes the costs for accommodation, travel and food, clothing, learning material, health insurance, mobile phone and expenses for recreational activities.
- Can a FM student be a Tutor/ Teaching Assistant in the program?
Yes, students with a competitive academic performance are encouraged to apply for a tutorship / teaching assistant contract. We offer 2-3 positions per Term to our best students.